Monday, August 08, 2011

Experimental Cooking: Taco Seasoning

Taco seasoning is great for dishes other than tacos. It's an essential part of the lunches that I make for us just about every week. But I don't like buying pre-packaged taco seasoning, because it's filled with sodium and preservatives. Instead, I've started making my own taco seasoning. I mix up a decently large batch of it and store it in a plastic container in the cupboard, so it's always easy to scoop out a couple of tablespoons when I need it. I even have measurements for this one (though they are approximate).

Taco Seasoning
  • 1 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1 Tbsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 Tbsp dried onion
  • 1/4 Tbsp cilantro (optional)
  • sprinkle of garlic powder
  • sprinkle of cayenne pepper
  • sprinkle of ground sea salt

Mix all ingredients in a plastic container with a snugly fitting lid. Keep in a dry cupboard. Use a couple of tablespoons to season main dishes.

Commentary: Yup, it really is that easy. It doesn't taste quite the same as packaged taco seasoning, but all of the essential elements are there. You can, of course, increase the quantity that you're making (I normally do). Just use the recipe to get the proportions: 4 parts chili powder and cumin, to 2 parts dried onion, to 1 part cilantro.

Variations: The cilantro is optional because I know a number of people who think cilantro tastes like soap. The hubbie and I do not, so we use it. :) I have also been known to put a dash of cinnamon in the mix, because we regularly use this with black beans (recipe coming soon), and black beans with cinnamon is surprisingly good!

No comments: