Friday, October 21, 2005

Breaking from the usual mold to respond to a request I have received.

Josef from (insert location here) has requested that I explain to his friend that just because The Rock is in a movie, that does not make the movie good.

I concur wholeheartedly. :)

Take, for example, The Scorpion King. Now I love the first two Mummy movies. In fact, I own both of them. But rather than buying a super spiffy box set of the three Mummy-themed movies, I bought the first and second movies separately. Why, you may ask?

Because The Rock as the star of a movie is a bad idea.

He was okay in the second Mummy movie, mainly because it was pretty much just CG that looked like The Rock. His acting talent was not required for the tiny little bit part that he had.

But he was popular, and thus Hollywood believed that they should give him starring roles. Bad idea.

The Rock was a decent wrestler. He was very good at working the mike. He has a very larger than life personality. However, this does not mean that he is a good actor. Because he's good at being larger than life. And that's about it. And that leads to type-casting, and nobody likes type-casting...

Okay, so this may be a pretty lame argument, but I say don't go see Doom, Josef from (insert location here)'s friend. Wait for video, at the very least.

Unless you're going to see Karl Urban. Who is pretty damn hot, in that totally scruffy, hippie, way. Which basically means not really. But he was pretty cute as Eomer. Damn, I can't decide... :)
.

No comments: