Thursday, December 08, 2005

Well, the results of the tie-dyeing have been reviewed, and I would call it a successful endeavor. In particular, I'm pretty pleased with the yarn... :)

I bought 5 skeins of white wool yarn so that I could dye it to my liking, crochet it into things, and then felt it... which, for those of you who don't know, means that I make it extra big to begin with, and then shrink it with hot water and the dryer. In other words, what you usually want to avoid doing to your wool sweaters, lest they shrink and become Dawn sized sweaters (you don't know how many shrunken sweaters I've owned in my lifetime).

So I did one of the skeins in shades of blues, greens, and purples. It looks amazing, and I only wish that I had made MORE of it in that color scheme. I did another skein in pink, orange, and yellow, and it reminds me of a Fraggle. That skein, for some reason, started to felt a little bit, but I think that overall, it'll be okay. I'll need to be a bit more gentle with it when I start to crochet, though, and might want to make it sort of medium sized, in case it won't felt as small as I want it to.

I still have 3 skeins left, though, which I will probably dye with Koolaid. No, seriously, this works. I just need to buy a whole TON of Koolaid (unsweetened) and then go to town. I think I'm going to try to make two of the remaining skeins in the green/blue/purple area, and the other one in something which will go along with the bright colors of the partially felted skein. That will give me a whole lot more to work with for both.

But I have to wait a bit before I do any of this, as I have a number of projects to finish as soon as possible. Three of them are commissioned projects, but unfortunately, the fourth has to take priority, due to a deadline of this weekend... GAH! I did this to myself last year, with the cross-stitch, why am I surprised that, yet again, I'm rushing at the last minute?

In other news, it's snowing today, and has been since this morning. The roads I can see from my office, which are somewhat back roads, look decent, so that's hopeful for the rest of town. I kinda need to go to Wal-Mart tonight, to get things to enable me to winterize my apartment before it gets too much colder. Right now, sitting on the couch is an exercise in great bravery, as it's almost as cold as being outside... okay, maybe not quite, but you get the idea... :)
.

No comments: