Thursday, August 30, 2007

Is it not shiny?



So this is the first steampunk ACEO. I've got two more in the works, but the glue wouldn't dry fast enough to satisfy my attention span last night. :) (Though the good news is that I wrote three articles and got some other stuff done, meaning that I am ALMOST on top of my writing list... for now... :) )

I've discovered that making collages is a lot of fun for me, and also that I like making my collages a little bit more unusual than some might like. In this case, most of the material I used was just magazine clippings of watches and such. But I also have a bag of tiny watch bits, so I also added a watch face and some sort of watch or clock cog / gear / whatever... I am so bad about knowing the right names for those watch bits. :)

And yeah, I'm showing this off here and there, because I'm really pleased with it. I know I've made some ACEOs that just kinda look like I dropped a bunch of sticky paper onto a surface and let it stick wherever it fell. There is an appeal to that, I suppose, but this one feels more like I actually planned it this way. Mostly, I did. :) Collage making is often quite a bit of happy accidents, because it seems that you don't always see what needs to go where, or what section needs a little more "oomph" until it's almost done. I'm always picking and prodding at my mostly done collages to make them just right. :)

So yeah, more steampunk ACEOs later; they'll be in the Etsy shop when I'm done picking and prodding. :)

..::..

In other news, the moon has been rising within the line of sight of our balcony door this week, which makes for some pretty nice views. I tried to get a picture of it last night, and failed. Any tips for taking pictures of the moon other than "get a tripod"? I swear I wasn't moving, but most of the pictures came out blurry. :(

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't apologize for 'showing off'! This is a very cool collage; I love the watch imagery.

And thanks for forwarding the article to me. It looks amazing. You are a talented writer!

Dawn said...

Thanks on both counts! :) I'll let you know as soon as I've got live links for the article as well! :)

Sara said...

The watch imagery is fabulous - I want to reach out and touch it! I have yet to make any ACEOs but you just inspired me to try - that looks like so much fun!
Regarding the moon - do you have a railing on your balcony? You could make a tripod of your elbows by leaning on the railing if the moon was still low enough in the sky?

Dawn said...

I did try almost exactly that. We have planter boxes that are on the top of the railing, which put me at the right level to brace my arms. I think I am just far too wiggly. :)