Saturday, August 11, 2007

So we went and saw "Stardust" last night. For those who don't know, this movie is based off of a book by Neil Gaiman. I'm a huge Neil Gaiman fan, but this book is definitely one of my favorites, because it's a fairy tale. In fact, when Neil Gaiman was describing this movie at Comic Con, he compared it to "The Princess Bride." If anyone is still surprised that I like it, they should probably reexamine what it is they think they know about me. :)

Unsurprisingly, I loved the movie. True, there were a few parts that bothered me a little bit, but that's because they weren't completely true to the book. If, however, I had not read the book before, I know I would have completely and utterly loved this movie. Sadly, most of my disappointment stemmed from the fact that they left out my favorite line in the entire book, and that it really seemed like they rushed through a lot of bits to get to the "good parts." And one of those "good parts" was something that totally was NOT in the book.

But I can't complain, because I loved the steampunk pirates with their airship SOOOO much! (I looked it up last night, and the pirates are in the actual book for all of 5 pages, and they're nothing like they are in the movie.) I really can't wait for this movie to come out on DVD, because I will then watch the pirate part frame by frame to find all of the beautiful details that I missed the first time.

****

In other news, I get to go see Abney Park tonight, which will be awesome. Sadly, Jerome does not get to come with me (both because he works late and can't get into the place where they're playing), but I think I'll have a pretty good time anyhow. I will probably end up working the merch booth with their new merch boy/cabin boy, Qais (that's pronounced "case," if you were wondering).
.

No comments: