Friday, December 28, 2007

The Christmas gifts

Back in November, Anandi and I were at a craft show, and the woman across from us was selling photo brag books with a bit of an origami flair to them. As much as I wanted to get them for all the women in my family, I definitely couldn't afford them (especially not while sitting at a rather slow craft show). But I watched as she showed them off, and slowly but surely, I figured out the design. It was a pretty basic pattern, and even she said that she hadn't come up with the idea herself. So I went home and made a test version, and then went and bought my own cardstock to make my own.




So here they are. The top picture shows the ones that I made for my female family members. Amanda's and Sarah's are in the back, while Mom's and Megan's are in the front. The unfolded one shows the inside of Megan's. It might not make a lot of sense if you haven't seen one of these in action, but they're super cool. I also made them for Jerome's mom and one of his sisters, but didn't take pictures of theirs. They were very pink and girly, as his sister just had a baby girl in September. :)

I should point out that I have no plans whatsoever to sell anything like these. Even though I did work out the "pattern" part on my own (and it's really a fairly universal sort of pattern), I wouldn't have thought of them without seeing the woman selling them, and to me, that's a form of copying. I don't mind making something that I see elsewhere for myself or for a gift, but not to sell. It may be an odd form of ethics, but it's the way I look at it. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think as an artist, or a crafter, we all have moments where we see something we like, and say to ourselves, "I can make that"... and sometimes we never get around to it, but sometimes we do!!

Kudos to you for going for it, they turned out awesome! I have a few things in mind as well that i've seen and would love to make for myself... If I ever will, only time will tell. Lol.
;)
Janell

Dawn said...

Yeah, I was really pleased with how they turned out, and everyone I gave one to was just thrilled by them! :)

I also discovered that the woman selling them was probably pricing them exactly right, unless she has some secret supplier of cardstock that makes it extra cheap. :)