Friday, July 11, 2008

A fun collaboration


About a month or so back, Anne of Seattle Sundries contacted me to see about having some soap "sweaters" or "socks" crocheted to go around her soap. Of course, the interesting aspect of this request was that since her soap is round, she wanted something that could fit to the shape of the soap.

I'm always up for a good challenge, and by the time I had responded to her initial inquiry, I was already sketching out little ideas on paper. To my brain, the best way to figure out how to crochet something unusual is to break it down into its component shapes, figure out how you would crochet each shape separately, and then put it all back together. It's trial and error sometimes, but with these little soap sweaters, it didn't take me long at all to figure it out. Even better, I hadn't seen the size of Anne's bars of soap before I made my prototypes. But between a pretty good guess and the stretchiness of yarn, they fit perfectly.

And I have to HIGHLY recommend Anne's soap across the board. She gave me a sample bar to try out the soap sweaters on, and then she swapped me a bar of soap for something I had made. I picked out the Manly Man and Backwoods varieties, thinking that Jerome might like one or both. Well, I'm using the Backwoods in the shower, and it's great. It's fresh and clean smelling, without being overpowering in the slightest. And the lather, both in and out of the soap "sweater" is fabulous!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's cute! Looks like something to eat.

So you use the soap sweater in the shower? For exfoliation, I guess? Interesting!

Dawn said...

Yup, that's exactly what it's for. I also think that it helps the bar to lather more than just your bare hands would--like if you were using a washcloth. Only in this case, the washcloth is snugly attached to the soap. :)