Wednesday, November 26, 2008

More geekiness

So we've been cruising through the Doctor Who DVDs, and as I was busily crocheting while watching last night, I had a fabulous idea strike me. I rummaged through my incredible stash of yarn, and discovered that said idea was almost 100% a go. Why is that I ALWAYS am missing one color of yarn that I NEED? (Anyone know if Jo Ann's is open on turkey day?)

A couple of years ago, my friend John commissioned me to make him a Doctor Who scarf. For those of you unfamiliar with this object, it is approximately 12 inches wide, 12 FEET long, and involves 7 colors of yarn. I made it for him. I cursed a lot. But I got it done. I sadly have no good pictures of this creation, as it was the money I made from this commission that went towards my new digital camera, and DEAR GOD did the one before that suck. Suffice it to say, it was quite the undertaking.

And I've occasionally pondered making another, and then I've remembered what I'd need to charge for it, and how much of my life it would consume, and then moved on. But my brain flash last night has made it possible to once again make something like that scarf, only a much quicker version.

I'm making Doctor Who ice cream and coffee scarves... :)

Technically, they're the same cozies I've been making, just in those specific 7 colors. I'm thinking of doing a Doctor Who fan pack, that involves a Dalek and one of each cozy, but that's getting a tiny bit ahead of myself. I still need to find the gold/yellow yarn in cotton, which is proving trickier than I'd hoped. But I will figure it out, one way or another, even if it involves doing one stripe in acrylic. :)

And yes, this absolutely proves nothing more than the fact that I'm a big geek. But I'm okay with that. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

HA! I love the fan pack idea! One of my first knitting projects was loosely who inspired.

Dawn said...

Ooh, that's a fun scarf! :)

I think I might do the fan pack thing, and I might actually see if any of the other Etsians who do Doctor Who stuff want to do a big bundle deal. :)