Monday, September 17, 2007

Too many movies!

Jerome worked an extra long shift yesterday, so I spent most of my day watching movies. I started out on a steampunk movie kick, which undoubtedly affected my brain for the rest of the day. It also reminded me that I really need to write an article about steampunk movies, among other things. :)

The first movie I watched was "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen," which is not necessarily steampunk in its entirety, but has some nice steampunk-y bits. In particular, all of the clockwork stuff on the moon really makes me classify this as a steampunk-y movie. (I am also always amused that the little girl in this movie is Sarah Polley, who later went on to be in the new version of "Dawn of the Dead" and also had a really bad accent in "Beowulf & Grendel".)

After that, I watched "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen," which I think is just about the epitome of steampunk movies. It's very pulp comic action as well, but to me, that's a lot of what steampunk is--late Victorian era or early twentieth century, but with crazy technological advances that are historically inaccurate. :)

Finally, I finished out the evening with "X-Men," which, of course, diverges from the steampunk theme. This was mainly because the only other steampunk movie I really own is "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow," and I had watched that one pretty recently. So "X-Men" instead, and mainly because Jerome doesn't usually like watching that movie. :) It was mostly background noise anyway, as I worked on cutting out paper snowflakes from magazines. :)

Speaking of paper snowflakes, I really need to find out how to fold paper so that I can make 6 pointed snowflakes. I made some really interesting five pointed snowflakes, somehow, and eight pointed are really easy to make. :)

No comments: