Monday, March 10, 2008

Look, it's the sekrit project!

I like green!


A while back, I made myself a small fleece blanket. It was mainly small because I used a couple of remnants of fleece, rather than actually buying a couple of yards of fleece. I like remnants, especially when they are gray, purple, and burgundy with flowers and paisleys. So I ended up with a very narrow blanket that works far better as a caplet than a blanket. But I'm small, so that's okay. :)

Well, Jerome was jealous of my new blanket. He has a nice BIG fleece blanket that his grandma made for him, but I think he's had it for most of his life. I think, also, that one or more of his dogs must have stolen it on a regular basis. Whatever the case may be, it's pretty worn out and not really all that fluffy anymore. And he wanted to have a new one. So I told him I would make one when I found enough fleece in the remnant bin.

I stopped in Jo Ann's on Tuesday, purely on a fluke. Well, I was probably looking for yarn, even though I shouldn't buy any. But I always have to check out the remnant bin, and, as luck would have it, I found two LARGE pieces of green fleece... the only problem being that they didn't really match.

I am creative, however, and decided to go with it. And then I decided to get fancy...


Close-up on the Mista J


I also grabbed a fat quarter of solid purple cotton, with the plan to add on "Mista J" on one corner. For those who don't know, "Mista J" is what Harley Quinn calls The Joker on the Batman cartoon. Jerome loves Joker and Harley (all four of his tattoos thus far are either Joker or Harley related). He also has drawn on the corner of his drawing board a rather fancy rendition of "Mista J."

So I waited till he went to work on Saturday, and then broke out the supplies, which I had been hiding in the back of my side of the closet. I finished it up in a couple of hours and had it waiting for him when he got home from work. :) Of course, my lettering is much chunkier and less elegant than his drawing, but it still captures some of the little flourishes that he drew on the ends of the letters.

And, of course, he loves it. :)

I did also want to find an old T-shirt with The Joker's face and sew that on too, but I had this memory of a T-shirt that was The Joker in the middle and the rest of the shirt, completely, was covered with "Ha! Ha! Ha!" But I have no idea where I saw this shirt, and I couldn't find it anywhere online. Between that and the fact that Jerome probably would have rather me found him the shirt to wear, I decided that I'd just go with text. :)

2 comments:

Woven Chains said...

Very nice! I hope you did a better job keeping your sekrit project a sekrit than I always do :P.

Dawn said...

Yup, he was amazed when he got home. :)