Monday, June 02, 2008

Movie review: The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

I honestly can't believe that it took me so long to actually watch this movie. Having seen it, of course I loved it. What's not to love about Hugo Weaving in drag? (Okay, I suppose not everyone would love Hugo Weaving in drag. Me, I think pretty much any guys in drag are awesome. It's just so much fun. :) )

What I didn't know before seeing the movie is that it also stars a really young looking Guy Pierce, who also gets in on the drag queen action. But while Hugo Weaving's drag queen is understatedly gay (with some good reason for that), Guy Pierce's drag queen is over the top, flamingly gay. It's kinda hilarious. (And the other main actor, Terence Stamp, plays a transsexual. Which is a far cry from General Zod in Superman.)

As for the movie itself, it is more than just guys prancing around in drag. There's some great visuals of Australia, and a plot in the midst of it all, dealing with identity and how men dressed as women are treated in a place like Australia. Also, that Australia is very big, and has lots of desert in the middle. But I knew that last bit already.

+++++

In other news, I'll have more movie reviews up over the course of the week. It was a movie packed weekend. Only we haven't seen the new Indy movie yet. Thursday is looking promising, if I haven't already committed myself to something for that day as well. Now that Lost is between seasons, my Thursdays are all freed up. :)

No comments: