Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Books and such

I've actually been reading quite a bit lately, which is a nice change. Most of this was inspired by the fact that I had two 5 hour flights last week, and needed something to do while waiting in the airport and while en route. So as it turned out, I finished four books and started a fifth. :)

Now, granted, two of these were children's books: The Girl with the Silver Eyes and The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. I'd also read both of them before, when I was a kid. Another was Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe, which, again, I had already read (and was miserably disappointed when I realized that I ONLY had the first book of it. Not even Restaurant at the End of the Universe!).

The fourth one I read was one that I had started reading before I left: The Good Fairies of New York. That one was a random find when we went on a crazy book buying binge at Barnes & Noble one night. The cover was interesting, and then I saw that Neil Gaiman had written the introduction. So of course I had to read it. :) The author, Martin Millar, also has a book called The Girl Werewolf, or something like that, which I also want to get and read. :)

And for the fifth book, which I'm only about halfway through, I finally decided to read Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman, after having it for several months. I do that WAY too often. I buy a book, I leave it sitting around for a while, and then I put it up on the book shelf, where it is effectively forgotten. Well, presently, I have a STACK of books that need to be read, and that one trip whittled it down pretty well. Of course, my stack is incomplete, since we have an entire shelf of graphic novels, and I've read about half of those. And Jerome has many, many more graphic novels on our external hard drive.

The best part, though, is that I've started reading these books in the evening, instead of having the TV on. Jerome has been happily plugging away at reading graphic novels on his laptop. It's brilliant! :)

No comments: