Friday, December 06, 2002

I'm here, my head hurts, and I've got more cards to type already... *sigh*...

End of the Work Week Wisdom:
(we have two this week)

"We're not students, we're consumers..."

and

"I'm a fuckin' demon!
--the latter of which is from "Dogma"...

I would also like to add something of a conversation that Megan and I had yesterday, as she tried to tempt me into buying Demon: the Fallen...

M: "You know you want it..."
D: "I'm not spending my money on that crack... now if someone were to give me a copy for Christmas..." [pause] "No, screw that... I'm not wasting a Christmas present on that!"

Usually, I have no problem buying anything with the White Wolf logo on it... but I've been balking about Demon since I heard it was coming out... it's not that I'm opposed to the idea... it's just that:

a) it's been done before... it was called In Nomine... I still wanna try out that system...

b) does the World of Darkness REALLY need Demons running around? In the revised edition, they REALLY tried to downplay infernalism and other such nonsense, to the point where I have to go find a 2nd ed book in order to find out about demonic investments... because it's the ONLY place they were printed... so I thought that maybe White Wolf had grown out of the juvenile "kewl powerz" stage... from everything I've heard about Demon, they must have decided that their target audience (read: the people who buy all the books) are the "kewl powerz" type of roleplayers... and I use that term loosely...

c) they list Demolitions as a skill on the character sheet... not a secondary ability... as a main skill... so gee... who doesn't think that all the little power gamerz are gonna have their characters go and blow shit up? And I'm generally against that sort of stuff, for a variety of reasons... but the big one? It's a lame way to solve your problems... try using thought, not explosives...

Sorry for the rantiness, I just got a little annoyed when I actually looked in the book... and I'm not planning on buying it... or probably playing it either...

::..::

In other news, we rented all three tapes of Kindred: the Embraced last night... Gabe had never seen any of it, while I was a HUGE fan when it was on TV... now, I will fully admit... it is CHEEZY to an extreme... Vampires being able to run around in the sunlight, as long as they've fed recently (which apparently means "this century"), Gangrel in the plural referred to as the "Gangrels" (that just doesn't seem right to me)... the FIVE clans of the Camarilla... the Brujah who are more like Giovanni... the Gangrel who are more like a weird hybrid of Gangrel, Brujah, and Ravnos... the Nosferatu who are just bald and have funny ears... calling the Primogen "bosses"... calling the Primogen meetings "Conclaves"...

But hey, it's vaguely amusing, and it's fun to watch again, close to 6 years after it originally aired... :) And not everything is bad... the Toreador and Ventrue are pretty dead on to how I see the clans being... :) Umm... but that's about it... :)

No comments: