Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Movie review: Coraline

So as a HUGE Neil Gaiman fan, I'm always anxiously awaiting any new movies that he's involved in. And though Beowulf was somewhat disappointing and Stardust left me stomping my feet a bit, I can't complain too much. I feel pretty much the same about Coraline.

The movie is undeniably cute, between the stop motion and the overall cuteness of the story (despite it being a little scary in places, at least for little kids). I tried really hard not to squee too loud during the They Might Be Giants song, when Coraline's father's voice suddenly and unmistakably became that of John Linnell. :)

The big issue I had with it, unfortunately, was something that Thaddeus told me about on Sunday--they added a character to the story. Normally, no big deal. Until it has the effect of lessening the main character. :( I could go into a big huge rant here, too, about girl power and such, but I don't want to ruin the story too much for those who haven't read the book or seen the movie.

Oh yeah, which reminds me. Read the book. :) The movie is wonderful, but the book is equally so, if not better. I've only read it once, and it's been a little while since I read it, but I think that you'll find the book and movie are pretty wonderfully similar. Except for that extra character. *sigh*

No comments: